Friday, October 17, 2014

INS-30131 Error During Installation of Database 11.2.0.4 in Windows 2008

Recently I was assigned to take care a project that it consisted of moving Oracle EBS 12.1.3 system from Windows 2003 to Windows 2008 platform (come on....it's year 2014 now).  One of the milestone of this project was to upgrade the database from 11.1.0.3  to 11.2.0.4.

Somehow when I ran the installer for 11.2.0.4 in a fresh Windows 2008 server, I got the error
[INS-30131] Initial setup required for the execution of installer validations failed. 
Cause - Failed to access the temporary location
Action - Ensure that the current user has required permissions to access the temporary locations.

Installation of 11.2.0.2 does not give this error (or does not have this checking).  This validation is seemed to be added in this and later version - 12c.

The steps to resolve this issue can by found in Metalink, as well as numerous places around the web. However, none of them work for me.  Steps include:

net use \\localhost\C$
No problem at all.  It's actually a default Windows drive shares and no change whatsoever.  In addition, I logged in as administrator to do all the installation.

Stop OracleRemExecServiceV2 service
I didn't even have this service in my system!

Okay. Creating a TAR for this simple problem was definitely not my style.  So I tried to figure out what the installer wanted to do and gave this error.

Based on the debug log file (BTW, you can run the setup.exe with -debug flag to see more low-level stuff), this error was raised after the system IP was looked up, and a named pipe connection was initiated.  It seemed that this connection was failed and gave this error.  So I suspected that the error was related to IP-hostname-FQDN resolving.

The original hosts file was something like:

127.0.0.1      localhost
192.168.1.106  ebs-db.symplik.com ebs-db

I added more entries so that loclhost, hostname and FQDN can be resolved to server IP and loopback addresses:

127.0.0.1     localhost ebs-db.symplik.com ebs-db
192.168.1.106 localhost ebs-db.symplik.com ebs-db

Rerun the installation....and this error was gone !

Finally, I reverted the changes for the hosts file after the installation was done.


3 comments :

tiru said...

thanks for updated for MWA GUI Client very use full for me

Unknown said...

Just stop the process RemoteExecService from task manager. It will work.

Hamsa Openion said...

Really I have spent many search time with no result

Thanks alot for this successful solution